Do you want to give your career a boost by taking up a new challenge? Are you looking for a working environment in which you are challenged every day to do better than you did the day before? Do you want to work with your colleagues to build Boskalis’ position in the Dredging and Offshore Energy sector? Then it’s time to come and talk to us about working as a cost engineer.
That a cost engineer can influence the contracts we secure as a multi-million euro company is something we don’t need to tell a professional like you. That this gives you a great deal of impact and means that you share in the responsibility for Boskalis’ success is surely something else you are already aware of. Think for example of the Suez Canal project, The Marker Wadden project (one of the largest nature restauration projects in Western Europe, or the Veja Mate offshore wind farm in the German section of the North Sea. Major projects like these provide you as a cost engineer with an ideal opportunity to contribute towards making the world more sustainable.
Your average working week as a cost engineer will involve:
- Devising various scenarios based on the client’s requirements and the available contract or tender documents and preparing a cost estimate or budget;
- Arranging the tender submission documents and maintaining the estimate or budget file and the calculation database;
- Providing advice during risks sessions with regard to risk scenarios that apply to the tender or execution stage;
- Supporting the project team during the work preparation, for example by drawing up a draft schedule and a project budget;
- Drawing up a list of prices at subcontractors, insourcing services and suppliers and assessing these;
- Drawing up subsequent costing with regard to the products and services bought in;
- Visiting colleagues and clients in the Netherlands and abroad before, during and/or after a project is executed;
- Gathering, analyzing and managing multi-disciplinary information, and if necessary making suggestions for different standards and calculation methods.
What it boils down to is that as a cost engineer you play a key role in bringing the tender stage to a successful conclusion. You are able to do this because you are involved in all the internal processes and see to it that the various departments provide their input so that you are able to provide good advice on various scenarios and the associated cost budgets for high-profile projects.
Skills, knowledge and experience
We like to compare the role of cost engineer with playing Champions League football: only if you have the right knowledge, qualities and attitude will you be selected and will you be able to score. If you want to part of Boskalis’ top selection you will need to be able to offer the following:
- A higher vocational education (HBO) or university qualification in a technical subject, such as civil engineering, maritime engineering, mechanical engineering, offshore engineering or industrial engineering
- At least eight years of work experience in a cost engineering job. Preferably you will have experience in the offshore energy, or (civil) engineering sector
- Demonstrable knowledge of contract management and financial and economic business processes;
- In-depth knowledge of Excel. You have no problem calling yourself a genuine Excel expert;
- Rock-solid communicative skills in English;
- The following characteristics apply to you: result-focused, analytical, precise, client-focused and pro-active;
- And finally: if you have completed a cost engineering course such as DACE or AACE it will certainly give you an edge! Experience with Cleopatra enterprise software is a plus.
Terms & conditions
Working for Boskalis offers you:
- Being part of a professional project team
- Numerous personal development opportunities
- Work in an organization in full development where you can contribute to its growth
- Competitive benefits package
- To learn more about the Boskalis terms of employment, click here
Want to get to know Boskalis a bit better? Click here to read more.
The job of senior cost & planning engineer is a full-time job (40 hours). You will be located in the headquarters of Boskalis in Papendrecht, the Netherlands.
|Date Updated||Thursday 18 April 2019|
|Function category||Engineering | Technical|
|Contact||Ms. Iris van Laar|
|Telephone||+31 (0)78 696 8612|